A court in Germany says the world's third most-wanted Nazi suspect has died before he could be brought to trial.
Bonn's state court said in a statement Monday that 89-year-old Samuel Kunz died on November 18.
Kunz was indicted on charges he was involved in the entire process of killing Jews at the Belzec death camp: from taking victims from trains to pushing them into gas chambers to throwing corpses into mass graves. No trial date had been set.
Efraim Zuroff, the Simon Wiesenthal Center's top Nazi hunter, says it's incredibly frustrating that Kunz died before trial.
But he says it is important that he was indicted. Zuroff said at least a small measure of justice was achieved.
Earlier this year, Zuroff said Kunz's name first came up in investigations connected to the trial of John Demjanjuk.
Demjanjuk, age 90, is currently on trial in Munich on charges of being an accessory to the murder of 28,060 Jews as a guard at the Sobibor death camp in occupied Poland. He denies he was ever a camp guard.
Prosecutors allege that both Kunz and Demjanjuk trained as guards at the Trawniki SS camp.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now