The Paris prosecutor's office says five of 12 people accused of links to a September attack on a kosher market in a suburb of the city have been freed.
The prosecutor's office said Thursday that seven people remained in custody, a day after police discovered bomb-making materials in an underground parking lot near Paris as part of a probe of an "extremely dangerous terrorist cell."
French police captured the suspects during a series of raids on Saturday.
The suspected leader of the cell was shot dead when police raided his apartment in the city of Strasbourg, after finding his DNA on a grenade used in the attack.
Officials said he had been under surveillance since last spring.
On Wednesday, Interior Minister Manuel Valls said some of the 12 suspected cell members arrested over the weekend appeared to have plans to go to Syria to fight in its civil war.
Authorities have been on high alert for possible terror attacks by radical Islamists after a Frenchman who claimed links to al-Qaida shot and killed three Jewish children, a rabbi and three paratroopers in southern France in March.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now