A recipe from Shoula Sutton, which has been in her family for generations.
Makes 25 to 30 kibbeh
2 cups chopped beef
3 cups rice flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups water
Meat stuffing (tadbileh)
1. Mix the chopped beef, rice flour, salt and water in a food processor to form a pink dough. Form into golf-sized balls.
2. Place each ball in the palm of one hand, then dip the index finger of your other hand in water and push into the center of the ball. Constantly turn ball of dough, pressing your finger and turning until the walls are very thin. Wet your finger as needed.
3. Fill the cavity ¾ full with stuffing and close.
4. Boil water in big pot. Add the לibbeh. Let simmer for 30 minutes, then drain in a colander and let cool.
5. Add enough oil to a small pot to reach 3/4 of the size of the kibbeh and put over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot deep fry the kibbeh for 30 seconds on each side. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel.
6. Place a clean paper towel on bottom of a clean pot. Lay all the kibbeh on top of each other in the pot, cover the pot, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now