To kasher the chicken livers use one of the methods described here.
Otherwise, just follow the recipe:
4 large gold potatoes, washed
4 tablespoons schmaltz or goose fat (or olive oil)
2 yellow onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt and black pepper to taste
1 lb. chicken livers, cleaned.
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the washed potatoes on a baking sheet and cover well with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes, flip the potatoes and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
2. In the meantime start cooking the onions. Heat 2 tablespoons of schmaltz in a large frying pan over high heat and fry the onions while stirring. When they start to brown a little lower the heat and continue cooking and stirring. This process will take about 30 minutes.
3. When the onions are browned add the sugar and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and transfer the onions to a covered bowl to keep it warm.
4. Return the same pan to a medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of the schmaltz, then add the chicken livers. Sprinkle with salt and cook on both sides until brown on the outside, but still light pink inside.
5. For every serving mash a potato using a fork with a teaspoon of schmaltz and a little salt. Top with the chicken liver and the caramelized onions and serve immediately.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now