Serve the eggplant over a slice of a good bread.
One classic black eggplant
Kosher salt for sprinkling
Corn oil for frying
Juice from half a lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, thinly slices (optional)
1. Peel the eggplant using a vegetable peeler (you can also leave stripes of peel). Slice the eggplant into 1/3” think round or long slices. Arrange the slices in a colander and sprinkle every layer with kosher salt. Put the colander over a large bowl and let the eggplant stand for one to two hours.
2. Wash the eggplant under running water then dry with paper towels.
3. In a frying pan over medium heat put 1/4” corn oil for frying. Fry the eggplants in one layer (you will have to do it in two batches) until the slices are deep golden brown. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towels.
4. In a small bowl mix the lemon juice and garlic.
5. Arrange the eggplant slices on a serving tray, drizzle the lemon juice on top and sprinkle with mint and jalapeno.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now