The classic black eggplant variety works best in recipes that require frying, like this one.
2 classic black eggplants
Kosher salt for sprinkling
Corn oil for frying
8 garlic gloves
1 jalapeno, thinly slices (optional)
1. Peel the eggplant using a vegetable peeler (you can also leave stripes of peel). Cut the eggplant into 1” cubes. Arrange the cubes in a colander and sprinkle every layer with kosher salt. Put the colander over a large bowl and let the eggplant stand for one to two hours.
2. Wash the eggplant under running water then dry with paper towels.
3. In a frying pan over medium heat put 1/4” corn oil for frying. Fry the eggplants in one layer (you will have to do it in two to three batches) until the cubes are deep golden brown. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towels.
4. While the eggplants are frying prepare the sauce. Cut the tomatoes to quarters and put them in a food processor together with the garlic. Run the food processor until the sauce is smooth.
5. Wipe the frying pan with a paper towel and pour the tomato sauce into it. Put the frying pan back on a medium heat and cook for a few minutes until it thickens. Transfer the eggplant into a bowl and pout the sauce over it. Mix gently and sprinkle with jalapeno.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now