Prep time: 30 minutes
Recipe slightly adapted from The Heimish Kitchen.
For the perfect hamantashen, follow three rules:
1. Don't overfill it
2. Don't roll your dough too thin
3. Use egg whites to seal the ends together.
4½ cups all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks (egg whites reserve for topping)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 (4 oz) sticks or 1 cup margarine
½ cup orange juice
For the filling
Raspberry jam, strawberry jam, prune butter
Chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella, or whatever you like)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) . Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Add the egg yolks, vanilla, margarine and orange juice. Mix until a smooth dough forms.
3. On a well-floured surface, roll the dough out. Make sure it isn't too thin. Using a circle cookie cutter or the rim of a glass about 5 centimeters (2 inches) in diameter, cut circles out of the dough.
4. Place about 3/4 teaspoon of your choice of filling in the center of each circle. Do not overfill.
5. Bring two arcs of circle up to meet in the center. Raise the third side of the circle to meet the first two arcs. Pinch together all of the seams where the dough meets. Using your finger, rub a bit of egg white into the seam.
5. Place the shaped hamantashen on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake at 180 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now