It is best to buy the cardoon peeled because it's difficult to do it yourself. Remember, your local grocer won't stock these herbs.
1 kg. clean, peeled wild cardoon
3 lge. onions, diced
salt, pepper to taste
1/2 kg. ground lamb
2 liters boiling water
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Cook the cardoon in boiling water for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the cardoon from the water, drain and set aside to cool.
3. Dice the onion, place the olive oil in a pot, heat and add the onion. Saute until golden. Add the lamb meat and saute for five minutes.
4. Add the cardoon and water and bring to a boil on a high flame. Lower the flame and cover the pot. Cook for another half-hour on a low flame.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings.