DPA - The man suspected of shooting dead four people at a Jewish museum in Brussels will remain in custody for at least another month, a Belgian court decided Monday, while investigations continue.
Mehdi Nemmouche, a 29-year-old dual French-Algerian national, is the sole suspect in the May 24 museum shooting. He is believed to have spent time in Syria fighting alongside jihadist groups.
The victims in the museum attack were an Israeli couple, a French woman and a Belgian man.
Nemmouche was arrested at a bus station in the French port of Marseille six days after the attack, in possession of a Kalashnikov rifle and pistol that resembled those used in the attack.
He was extradited to Belgium last week. Monday's hearing was an opportunity for the investigating judge to present a first report on his inquiry.
The Brussels pre-trial chamber then ordered Nemmouche's on-remand detention to be extended by one month, the federal prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Nemmouche's attorney said after the hearing that there is no DNA evidence or witness testimony that can place his client at the scene of the attack, the Belga news agency reported.
"It is thus at this stage completely premature to condemn this man, who enjoys the presumption of innocence," Sebastien Courtoy was quoted as saying.