Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed Sunday to intervene to end a month-long prosecutors' strike.
Organizers of the strike said they would continue their efforts until their demands for higher pay and better work conditions, particularly for high-level prosecutors were met.
Netanyhau told ministers at the weekly cabinet meeting that he planned to discuss the issue with Justice Minister Yaakov Neeman, Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz, Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein, and Prime Minister's Bureau Director-General Eyal Gabai.
The commitee of organizers behind the strike has decided that prosecutors will appear only in cases involving the most serious allegations, including murder, attempted murder, arms production and trading, drug trafficking and sexual offenses.
Attorneys are not allowed to prosecute suspects in slightly less serious crimes, even in cases of aggravated assault, kidnapping, robbery, drug possession, weapons possession, arson or sex trafficking.
Several high-profile cases have been affected by the strike, including the case of former minister Tzachi Hanegbi.
Because of the strike, prosecutors can't appeal his acquittal - Hanegbi avoided fraud and breach of trust convictions recently but was still forced to resign from the Knesset after being convicted of perjury, which the court ruled involved moral turpitude.
In addition, on Sunday, a convicted child molester was released to house arrest after no attorney could be found to sign the prosecution statement. Police said the decision posed a genuine threat to society.
The prosecutors association is to meet on Sunday and discuss the future of the strike, following the collapse of negotiations with the Finance Ministry late last week.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now