Settler leaders have been pressuring residents of the West Bank outpost of Migron to vacate their homes of their own free will on Sunday, as per the agreement they signed with the government, Migron residents claim.
Migron's residents have been refusing to vacate the outpost, and have been requesting a guarantee from the state that those who purchased plots of land in the outpost will be allowed to remain. On July 12, the day set for Migron's evacuation in the agreement reached with the state in March, 17 families appealed to the Supreme Court against the evacuation, saying that they had purchased land in the outpost.
Danny Dayan, Chairman of the Yesha Council of Settlements, denied the claim by Migron residents, saying that "no pressure was applied."
"[Supreme Court] President Grunis' decision puts the situation on hold until we have a discussion," Dayan said. "He did not differentiate in his decision between plots that we bought and ones that we didn't. It is clear therefore that an immediate evacuation would invalidate the discussion that is due to take place on Tuesday at the Supreme Court," he said.
Dayan referred to a letter sent on Thursday by Brig. Gen. Eitan Dangot, coordinator of government activities in the West Bank, demanding that thirty Migron families who are not part of the appeal vacate the land.
"Until Thursday, we believed that this was also the position of the security establishment. As such, Brig. Gen. Dangot's letter surprised us and was out of place. Even if there are those among us who believe that it would be better to vacate the buildings that were not included in the petition in advance, this would be a gesture of goodwill and not a legal obligation. Now it is clear that we must wait for the Supreme Court discussion. No pressure was applied," he added.
In the letter, Dangot said that refusal to vacate Migron would be a violation of the agreement residents made with the state, and as such the government would no longer be obliged to provide the families with alternative housing or to assist them in leaving Migron.
Currently, the defense establishment is ready to assist residents with the move on Sunday. If not, the plan is to evacuate Migron by force at the beginning of the week, subject to an operational assessment.
A recent email from a senior official in the human resources department of the Ministry of Defense to managers points to the upcoming evacuation.
The email, revealed by Arutz Sheva, asked staff to assist in carrying out the evacuation: "During the next two weeks the evacuation of illegal outposts in Judea and Samaria is expected to take place (exact dates will be given later).
The intelligence branch, which is responsible for this operation, is asking for the devotion of the ministry's staff during the days of the operation. Hours spent helping in the operation will be thought of as working hours with added overtime as is required ... I ask that you collate lists of workers who are interested in volunteering, after they have their supervisor's permission, and to transfer them to the authorized official in the intelligence branch," the email said.
Meanwhile, the right is already preparing for the forced removal of the residents of Migron. In an email sent out on the eve of Shabbat to soldiers, Benny Katzover, head of the Committee of Samaria Settlers, and Itzik Shadmi, head of the Committee of Binyamin Settlers, wrote that, in the past, soldiers had been misled by the pretext of security requirements, and taken part in "mass desecration of Shabbat."
"We turn to you, be vigilant for special [military] mobilizations this Shabbat, as you know, desecration of Shabbat that is not for operational purposes is also prohibited by the General Staff. Refuse to board any buses or to organize equipment. Stand tall and hold your heads high. We are proud of you!," the email said.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now