A court investigating the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri on Wednesday requested evidence from the leader of the Hezbollah militant group after he claimed Israel was involved in the murder.
"I can assure those who bring this information that it will be thoroughly assessed," chief prosecutor Daniel Bellemare said in a statement, also noting that his office is investigating the murder "in a neutral and objective way."
Hezbollah on Monday displayed what it said was Israeli surveillance footage of routes used by Hariri, saying this pointed to Israel carrying out the 2005 attack on his motorcade.
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, who had said he expected the tribunal to indict members of his own group over the assassination, said the investigators should consider whether Israel killed Hariri.
The prosecutor at the UN tribunal said it had asked Lebanese authorities to provide all information in Nasrallah's possession, including the purported surveillance footage.
Hezbollah on Monday showed what it said was video of routes frequently travelled by Hariri, which it said had been intercepted from Israeli surveillance aircraft.
"I invite anyone who has relevant information to submit it to my office. Indeed, I welcome any information that can bring us closer to the truth," Bellemare said.
The tribunal, which opened in March 2009, has yet to indict anyone.
Bellemare's office also asked Nasrallah to "use his authority to facilitate its investigation". Nasrallah has said in past he would not accept accusations by the tribunal against any Hezbollah member.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now