Hamas called on the Palestinian Authority Monday to boycott peace talks with Israel, saying such negotiations have not succeeded in the past.
The call came a day before Israeli and Palestinian negotiators are to meet in Amman, Jordan, in the first public face-to-face parley between the sides in 15 months, in an effort to get peace talks going again.
Expectations are low on both the Israeli and Palestinian sides that the meeting will lead to any sort of breakthrough.
"These meetings are a repetition of a track that had failed over the past years," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement emailed to journalists.
Direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks broke off in September, 2010, after Israel refused to extend a limited, partial 10-month freeze on construction in its West Bank settlements.
Earlier on Monday, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said that he believes his meeting with Israeli envoy Yitzhak Molcho on Tuesday will only bear fruit if Israel agrees to halt settlement construction.
Erekat told reporters in the West Bank that he does not expect any breakthroughs unless Israel agrees to halt settlement construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. He also said Israel must accept its 1967 lines as the basis for a future border.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now