Disgraced General Temporarily Spared IDF Dismissal Over Attorneys' Strike

Brig. Gen. Imad Fares petitioned court after dismissed from IDF for falsifying report about an accident with his army-issued car.

Brig. Gen. Imad Fares was spared from being dismissed from the Israel Defense Forces for the time being on Sunday, after a state attorneys' strike led the judge of the case to delay it until next month.

Fares was dismissed from the IDF after he falsified a report to the about a car accident involving his wife, who was driving Fares' army-issued car, by stating that he had been present. Army regulations prohibit spouses from driving the army's cars unless the officer is in the car as well.

Fares petitioned the Administrative affairs court in Tel Aviv to reverse his dismissal. He asked to remain in the army and be given a post suitable to his skills and rank. He has also petitioned for an injunction against army officials from moving up his original retirement date of July 2011.

Tel Aviv District Judge Kobi Vardi issued a temporary order on Sunday that allows Fares to remain in the IDF until the case is heard on its new date on December 21.

Fares had petitioned the court against Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, GOC Northern Command Gadi Eizenkot and other officers.

In the petition he said he feels like he "had his back to the wall" and was subjected to "a field court marshal." He says Eizenkot misled him by saying he had heard "whispers" from a general on the General Staff regarding a car accident similar to that of Brig. Gen. Moshe Tamir, when in fact, Eizenkot concealed the fact that the "whispers" came from a Yedioth Ahronoth reporter.

Tamir's son had been driving an army-issue ATV and had gotten into an accident; during the investigation Tamir falsely said he had been driving.

Fares first told Eizenkot he was with his wife in the car, but the next day told him he had not, and filled out a military police report to that effect.

Fares says that the next day he was summoned to the military police where, the petition states, "it quickly became clear to the petitioner that this was a military police investigation in every way."

Fares claims that Ashkenazi was looking for a reason to end his military career and the car accident was a pretext. He says Ashkenazi warned him that if he did not retire, the army head would bring up other charges.

When on April 29, Fares was summoned to Ashkenazi's office, he was hoping Ashkenazi would change his mind and renew his appointment as commander of the battalion commanders' course, since his disciplinary hearing had ended with a mere reprimand.