1 lb. basmati rice
3 teaspoons cardamom
3 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons turmeric
5 teaspoons salt
1 cup chicken gizzards
1 whole chicken
4 chicken necks
8 eggs (or one for every diner)
1. Mix one cup of the rice with 1 teaspoon each of the spices and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Add the gizzards and mix.
2. Stuffed the chicken with the rice mixture (keep any leftover rice for later). Tie the chicken legs together and use toothpicks to fasten the opening.
3. Put the chicken chest side down in a greased pot with the chicken necks. Add 4 cups of water and the rest of the spices and salt and bring to boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken chest side up and cook for 5 minutes more.
4. Now add the rest of the rice (about 4 more glasses) all around the chicken and cook for 10 minutes more. In the meantime turn your oven to 225 degrees. Arrange the eggs above the rice.
5. Cover the pot with the lid and then wrap aluminum around it, to keep the steam in. Transfer the pot into the oven for 7 hours or for the night.
6. Before serving, pour 1 cup of water into the stew, to help release it from the pot. Let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a serving dish. Cover the pot with a very large platter and flip the whole stew into it. Or simply serve straight from the pot. (don’t forget to take out the toothpicks and string).
For more recipes, check out Food and Wine on Haaretz.com
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now