For the chocolate mousse:
6.5 oz. 60% bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup espresso (can be decaf)
A pinch of salt
3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
3 egg whites
1 tablespoon sugar
For the pistachio pudding:
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
2.5 oz. raw pistachio, finely ground
1 tablespoon orange blossom water (optional)
1. Make the chocolate mousse: Melt the chocolate in the microwave with the espresso and salt in 30 second segments. Mix the margarine in. Add the yolks and mix well.
2. Whip the egg whites with the sugar in a standing mixer and fold into the chocolate mixture. Use a small ladle to pour the chocolate mousse into 6 glasses. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. In the meantime make the pistachio pudding: Put the egg yolks in a standing mixer’s bowl. In a sauce pan bring the sugar and water to boil, lower the heat and cook for a few minutes while stirring until the sugar syrup thickens but doesn’t change its color yet.
4. With the mixer running pour the syrup into the egg yolks and continue to mix with high speed for about 10 minutes, until the mixture is thick and very light in color.
5. Keep one tablespoon of ground pistachio and mix the rest of the pistachio and the orange blossom water into the whipped yolks.
6. Take the chocolate mousse cups out of the fridge and top each one with a small ladle full of the pistachio pudding. Sprinkle with the ground pistachio and chill for an hour or overnight before serving.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now