Central district prosecutors presented a letter of indictment on Tuesday against border guard Omri Abu for the charge of causing death by negligence in the shooting of a 10-year-old Palestinian boy in the West Bank village on Na'alin in 2008.
The prosecutors accused Abu of violating IDF guidelines by firing live ammunition towards demonstrators "without any justification or approval."
10-year-old Ahmed Moussa was killed on July 29, 2008 during clashes between protesters and Israeli security forces at a demonstration against the security barrier in Na'alin.
According to eyewitness statements to the B'tselem human rights organization, a Border Patrol jeep arrived at the scene of the protest and shots as well as a stun grenade were fired at demonstrators, who were dispersed in a grove of olive trees.
An IDF investigation of the incident found that Moussa had been killed by security forces.
Abu claimed that he fired two shots in the air in an attempt to disperse the demonstrators. Another border guard testified that Abu fired into the air during the incident.
Abu was released from the Border Guard after the incident.
Abu's attorney, David Halevi, said in response to the indictment letter that his client denied that the Palestinians boy had died as a result of his fire, adding that there wasn't "any evidence showing that a boy was killed in that event at all."
"The Palestinians," Halevi claimed, "had been suspiciously unwilling, to the point of tempering with evidence, to allow any examination of the body by an Israeli medical official, with all of the findings relying on Palestinian reports, who are a side to the matter."
Halevi also said that the findings of the Palestinian autopsy did not fit the claim that his client had opened fire, adding that he was confident that his innocence would be proven in court.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now