5-year-old Boy Dies After Electrocuted in Public Pool

Itai Freum succumbed to his wounds after he was seriously injured by electric current transmitted by a wire connected to a water pump.

A 5-year-old boy died Thursday after suffering electric shock while swimming in a public pool in Kiryat Motzkin earlier this week.

Five-year-old Itai Freum

The incident, in which Itai Freum was injured, is believed to have been caused by an electric current transmitted by a wire connected to a water pump. The wire ran along an awning which was affixed a few meters above the pool. Police questioned the owner of the establishment, Gabi Ben Galim, over the incident, and authorities are investigating whether negligence played a role.

The day began innocently enough for the Freum family from the Haifa suburb of Kiryat Haim: Arieh and Deganit with their two children, Liran, and his younger brother Itai.

"We decided we were going to be spontaneous and take advantage of the last two weeks of summer vacation," said Arieh Freum, an executive at the investment firm Clal Finance. "I work a lot and we don't get many chances to spend time together."

According to Freum, he was swimming in the water with his two sons, filming them with a video camcorder. "We were in the pool, we were going on the slides, and Itai wanted to go into the kiddie pool. Then I went to the bigger adult pool. Five minutes later, it happened."

The pool designated for small children features an overhanging mushroom-shaped structure that acts as a mini-waterfall for the swimmers.

The contraption is hooked up to an electric cable that channels power into a pump that extracts water and reroutes it onto the structure, pouring it on the swimmers below.
Investigators suspect that the cable was exposed, due to improper installation. Police opened an investigation into wrongful death by negligence.