14-year-old Among Nine Arrested Over Fatal Stabbing in Be'er Sheva

Most of those arrested for the murder of Gadi Vichman are aged 19 to 21. They will be brought to court for a remand hearing on Monday.

Nine people have been arrested over the murder of a father of two in Be'er Sheva on Friday, including a 14-year-old girl whose shoe was found at the crime scene.

Most of those arrested for the murder of Gadi Vichman are aged 19 to 21. They will be brought to court for a remand hearing on Monday.

Police arresting a suspect in the murder of Gadi Vichman in Be’er Sheva May 7, 2012.
Eliyahu Hershkovitz

Vichman, 36, was stabbed to death Friday night when he went outside to yell at a group of teenagers who were making noise under his window.

Immediately after the murder, police began seeking the culprits via a variety of methods, including listening in on cell phones. But the turning point came when one of the suspects broke under questioning and admitted to having been present during the incident. He then began naming other names.

None of the suspects contacted police voluntarily, and police suspect that, in some cases, other friends helped them to hide.

"We carried out arrests only after we had gathered enough evidence to establish the involvement of the suspects," Commander Peretz Amar of the Negev District police said on Sunday. "I believe we will manage to gather enough evidence to draft an indictment within the next few days."

Vichman's widow, Michal Levy, said she hoped the culprits "will get the stiffest possible sentences, that they rot in jail. Those who watched and abetted it also deserve to pay. Unfortunately, we don't have the death penalty.

"Everyone who was there had a hand in it," she said. "They let him [the killer] take Gadi's life.

"I hope this will bring about change - that even those at the top will understand that we can't go on this way with regard to violence," she added. "If a drastic change doesn't occur, people will be killed just because."

A neighbor agreed that a change in the way police deal with violence is urgently needed. "Every year during the summer, in June, July and August, there's a gang of young people who gather in the park," he said. "They drink, smoke and listen to music. You call the police and they transfer the call to 106 [the emergency hotline]. All the agencies pass the buck to each other.

"These youths are causing damage and vandalism," he added. "They're a gang that isn't from this neighborhood. They come here and cause damage."

Levy told Haaretz that the first time she called the police to complain about the noise, before her husband arrived home Friday night, no patrol car ever came. Police said they did send a car, but the patrolmen reported that they saw nothing untoward.

Hundreds of people attended Vichman's funeral on Sunday, including Be'er Sheva Mayor Ruvik Danilovich.

Moshe Rubeka, a friend, recounted in his eulogy how the last time he saw Vichman, "you told me about all the things you'd done in your life and the things you were planning. You had a big heart ... You told me, 'I want to invest in my children and my family.'"

Another friend similarly eulogized Vichman. "We love you," he said. "We will all miss your heart. You were a friend in times of trouble, and your smile always overcame everything."