Tahini Product Recalled After Tests Revealed Listeria

The bacteria is regarded as being highly dangerous by Israel’s Ministry of Health.

Bottles of tahini.
Bottles of tahini. Ofer Vaknin

Shamir Salads has recalled a tahini product after dangerous bacteria were found during a sample testing, Arutz Sheva reported on Tuesday.

The bacteria, listeria monocytogenes, cause the listeriosis infection. It is regarded as being highly dangerous by Israel’s Ministry of Health, causing such high-risk diseases as immune system-suppression and miscarriage.

The product recalled is the 330-gram container of tahini spread, labeled with a 16.5.14 expiry date.

A check of the company's website on Tuesday revealed that it was down for "updates."

Earlier this month, a 30-year-old tourist from South Africa died in Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem after eating tahini at a restaurant in Israel. The woman, who was allergic to sesame, did not know that tahini (“tehina”) was made from sesame seeds and developed a severe allergic reaction shortly after her meal.