Israel Defense Forces troops shot and killed a Palestinian near the West Bank city of Ramallah on Wednesday, after he opened fire on their patrol. No soldiers were hit.
A military source said the Palestinian fired 17 rounds out of a submachine gun toward the unit as it exited an army position outside of the village of Yabrud.
Troops from the Home Front Command returned fire, and a Nahal Brigade force arrived on scene shortly after to provide support and managed to subdue him.
"Fire was exchanged for two to three minutes, after which a unit from the Nahal Brigade passing by fired at the militant and killed him," the military source said.
It is unknown how the militant obtained his Carl Gustav submachine gun. It is also unclear whether had ties to terror groups, or if he was acting independently.
"Right now, we cannot say this was someone familiar to us," the official said.
Palestinian Authority sources identified the sources as 22-year-old Mohammed Mahmoud Mubarak, a resident of the Jalazun refugee camp.
Israeli forces prevented emergency medical teams from reaching him after he was shot, the sources said. His body is still in Israeli custody, they said, and demanded that the army's version of events be checked.
An army official said that the gunman had been working across from the army position over recent days on a road repair project by the U.S. Agency for International Development. He had been questioned by soldiers in recent days, according to the official.
Two weeks ago, Israeli forces killed a 16-year-old Palestinian near the village of Budrus in the West Bank. Several days later, a 15-year-old was severely wounded by Israeli fire after clashes between soldiers and youths at the A'ida refugee camp near Bethlehem.
Violence in the West Bank has increased in recent months, and at least 19 Palestinians and four Israelis have been killed in the occupied territory since U.S.-brokered peace talks resumed in July.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now