The process calls for soldiers to thwart captivity even at the expense of a fellow trooper's life. Debate about it has arisen anew since its implementation was blamed for causing heavy civilian casualties in a 2014 Gaza war.
- UK's Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron (Reuters)
- Erdogan: Ties with Russia to normalize 'rapidly' (Reuters)
- Erdogan: Economic relations with Israel will improve after reconciliation deal (Reuters)
- Obama 'pleased' by Israel-Turkey reconciliation, says White House press secretary (Haaretz)
- At least 14 killed, 15 wounded in three bombings in south Yemen (Reuters)
- Hamas says won't negotiate on missing Israelis without release of Palestinian prisoners (Haaretz)
- Lieberman likely to vote against Israel-Turkey reconciliation, says party member (Haaretz)
- Source: Defense Minister Lieberman expected to vote against Israel-Turkey reconciliation(Haaretz)
- Russia says Turkey's Erdogan apologized for downed Russian jet (Reuters)
- Taliban kill at least 5 abducted from bus in Afghanistan (AP)
- Authorities block vote for new opposition challenger to Turkey's Erdogan (Reuters)
- Turkish PM: Too early to talk about gas deals with Israel (Reuters)
- Turkish premier says Gaza blockade 'is largely lifted' through Turkish-Israel deal (AP)
- Netanyahu says Israeli naval blockade of Gaza to continue after Turkish deal (Reuters)
- Turkey says to send first ship with humanitarian aid to Gaza under Israel deal (Reuters)
Living conditions should improve in the Strip and Israel gains a new channel of mediation, even if there won't be joint training of pilots or major new arms deals like in the past.
A new documentary profiles the Holocaust survivor who provided key intelligence on the situation inside the Ugandan airport terminal in 1976, ultimately convincing Israeli skeptics that the operation was doable.
Turkey will send an aid ship to Gaza as soon as Friday, Turkish president says.
Luciana Berger joins mass resignation. 'You have shown me nothing but kindness, but we need a leader who can unite party,' she writes Corbyn.
Four suicide bombers struck in the village of Qaa early Monday morning. When mourning relatives gathered, another suicide attack targeted their church.
Shimon Dotan wanted to understand who are the people behind what he perceives as Israel's dark future. Talking to Haaretz, he explains why there are barely any Palestinians in his film and why he doesn't hate the settlers.
Though Karl Marx may have nailed it when he said that history comes first as tragedy and then as farce.