Modern Manna recipe / Four-Way Meringue Clouds: pomegranate, dates, orange or chocolate-anise flavor
This recipe uses the Swiss meringue method. In the Swiss meringue, you first heat the egg white and sugar in a double boiler until the sugar is melted. The mixture is then beaten until very stiff.
The four options for flavoring are each for a quarter of the mixture. You can double or quadruple the additions/toppings if you decide to make more of one kind.
Yields 18-20 3”-4” clouds
For the meringue:
8 egg whites of large eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
For the pomegranate-pistachio flavor:
1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup
1 tablespoon finely chopped pistachio
For the Iraqi haroset flavor:
1 1/2 tablespoon date molasses
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
3 tablespoons finely chopped candied walnut (or roasted walnuts) plus more for decoration
For the orange-pine nut flavor:
1 1/2 teaspoon mai zahar (orange blossom water. Can be found at Middle Eastern grocery stores)
Grated zest of one orange
1/4 cup lightly roasted pine nuts plus more for decoration
For the chocolate-anise flavor:
1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon ground star anise
1/8 teaspoon hot chili powder
1 oz. grated bittersweet chocolate
For the Indian fennel flavor:
2 tablespoon Indian fennel candy mix
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Combine the egg whites and sugar in the heat-proof bowl of a stand mixer. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and whites are hot to the touch (5 to 7 minutes). Transfer the bowl to the stand mixer and mix on high speed until stiff with glossy peaks (10 to 12 minutes).
3. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide the meringue into four bowls (about 6 oz. of the meringue in each). Prepare four of the flavors:
4. For the pomegranate-pistachio meringue gently fold in the pomegranate concentrate, leaving stripes of color in the meringue. Using two large spoons transfer large dollops of the meringue onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the pistachio on top.
5. For the Iraqi haroset flavor mix the ingredients in and using two large spoons transfer large dollops of the meringue onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the walnut on top.
6. For the orange-pine nuts flavor mix the ingredients in and using two large spoons transfer large dollops of the meringue onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the nuts on top.
7. For the chocolate-anise flavor mix the ingredients in and using two large spoons transfer large dollops of the meringue onto the baking sheet.
8. You can sprinkle the indian fennel candy mix on top of the chocolate flavored meringue, or on plain meringue.
9. Bake them all for 1 1/2 hours until crisp on the outside but still a little chewy inside. You can sacrifice one meringue cloud and break it to check. Cool on a rack and save for a week in a container at room temperature.