Modern Manna recipe / Fig clafouti
An easy yet fancy fig clafouti for Shabbat, in line with our theme of no more than 10 minutes in the kitchen.
Make sure the figs you’re using for this recipe are ripe and juicy.
Araq is an anise flavored liquor. You can substitute it with vodka or brandy.
1lb. fresh figs
1/2cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
Butter to grease the pan
3 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1/2cup all purpose flour
Pinch ground cardamom
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
1. Put the figs in a bowl, add the araq and 2 tablespoons of sugar and toss together. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9” round baking dish (a pie dish can work).
3. Transfer the figs to the baking dish and arrange them nicely all around. Pour the juices from the figs’ bowl into a blender.
4. To the blender add 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, whipping cream, flour, salt and cardamom and blend very briefly just until combined. Pour gently into the baking dish.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes, until puffed on the sides and set in the center. Cool for a few minutes and dust with confectioners sugar. Serve warm.