Modern Manna recipe / Alef-bet honey cookies for Simhat Torah
Sweeten the new year of the Torah with delicious letter-shaped biscuits.
You have three options for making these cookies: plain, sandwiched with jam or decorated with hard candy like “glass windows”. You can practice all the options in one recipe.
Alef-Bet cookie cutters are available in most synagogue’s gift stores. in many kosher markets and online. But these cookies work well in any shape.
2 sticks butter, softened
2 oz. honey
2 oz. sugar
2 large eggs
16 oz. self-rising flour
2 oz. cornstarch
Powdered sugar (optional)
Strawberry or raspberry jam (optional)
Colored or honey flavored hard candy (optional)
1. In a stand mixer with the flat beater attachment beat the butter, honey and sugar for 5 minutes. Add the eggs until incorporated into the butter, then slowly add flour and cornstarch until incorporated. Don’t work the dough longer. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. Oven to 300 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3. Flour a working surface and roll the dough to 1/6” thick. Cut out cookies using the alef-bet cookie cutters and transfer to cookie sheets. Bake for 13 minutes, cool on a cooling rack and dust with powdered sugar.
4. To make the sandwiched jam cookies draw a shape of Torah larger than the Alef-Bet cutters on a piece of paper. For every cookie cut out two Torahs using the Torah drawing, and out of one of them cut out a letter using the cutters.
Transfer to cookie sheets. Bake for 13 minutes and cool on a cooling rack. Dust the letter-Torah cookies only with powdered sugar. Spread a little jam on the Torah cookies and top each with the letter-Torah cookies to make a sandwich.
5. To make the “glass windows” Torah cookies draw a shape of torah larger than the Alef-Bet cutters on a piece of paper and cut it out. Using the Torah drawing cut Torah shaped cookies and out of each Torah cookie cut out a letter using the Alef-Bet cutters. Transfer to cookie sheets.
In a food processor crash hard candies (about 1-2 candies per cookie) and using a spoon sprinkle the crashed candy into the cut-out letter in each Torah cookie.
Bake for 13 minutes and cool on a cooling rack.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed