Modern Manna recipe / Acorn Squash Stuffed with Farro, Dried Tomato and Ricotta Salata
Farro is an ancient whole grain from the wheat family.
When shopping for acorn squash, choose the heaviest ones. They will be the meatiest.
3 acorn squashes
1 oz. dried tomatoes
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1.5 tablespoon honey
1.25 cups farro
1/4 cup chopped oregano
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1.5 oz. grated ricotta salata
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut each squash to half lengthwise, scoop a little of the pulp to leave 1/2 inch thick walls and arrange on a baking sheet. Chop scooped pulp and keep.
2. Put dried tomatoes in a food processor and process until powdered. With the food processor running, add butter and honey.
3. Keep half the dried tomato mixture in a small bowl and spread the rest on the inside of each squash. Sprinkle with a little salt. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. In the meantime prepare the filling: Cook farro in 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt, strain and transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining of the dried tomato mixture, chopped squash pulp, oregano, parsley and ricotta salata and mix gently.
5. Stuff each squash with the farro mixture and bake in the oven for another 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed