Modern Manna recipe / Beet and beet greens chips
In this recipe you get to use the whole vegetable - from its root to the leaves.
The leaves turn to somewhat bitter chips, that adults would love, while the beets themselves turn into sweet gorgeous chips, you'll all be fighting for.
Serve the beet chips with tzatziki.
3-4 small to medium beets
Oil spray (like PAM)
1. For the beet chips turn the oven to 375 degrees. Peel the beets and use the food processor with the slicing disc to form thin slices of about 1/16 inch think. Use the feed tube pusher to push the beets and force thicker slices, if needed.
2. Put the sliced beets in a large bowl, drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and mix well to coat all the slices.
3. Spread in one layer over a baking sheet sprayed with oil (you will need more than one baking sheet) and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
4. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, turn the beets to the other side and bake for 5-8 minutes more, until crisp. Cool completely and serve.
5. For the beet greens chips: Cut the large leaves to halves or quarters, keep the small leaves. Make sure the leaves are completely dry before you continue.
6. Turn the oven to 425 degrees. Arrange the leaves on a baking sheet sprayed with oil and spray oil on both sides of the leaves. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
7. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely and serve.
For more recipes, check out Food and Wine on Haaretz.com
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed