Writer and director Woody Allen and wife Soon-Yi Previn in Paris, Monday, June 25, 2012.
Writer and director Woody Allen and wife Soon-Yi Previn arrive for the screening of "To Rome With Love," in Paris, Monday, June 25, 2012. Photo by AP
Text size

Dylan Farrow has responded to Woody Allen's open letter in the New York Times on Friday, in which he denied her renewed accusations that he molested her as a child.

Allen's adopted daughter published the allegations in her own New York Times piece earlier this month. 

In her reponse published by the Hollywood Reporter, Farrow charged that Allen's op-ed was filled with "the latest rehash of the same legalese, distortions, and outright lies he has leveled at me for the past 20 years." 

Farrow rejected Allen's claim that her charges against him were brought on by coaching from her mother, Hollywood actress Mia Farrow, saying she had never wavered from her charges that Allen sexually assaulted her when she was seven years old.

"I will carry the memories of surviving these experiences for the rest of my life," Farrow wrote in her response.

Allen, 78, published a letter in the New York Times defending himself after Farrow, 28, resurfaced accusations of sexual assault against Allen in the paper five days prior.

"I did not molest Dylan," Allen wrote. "I loved her and hope one day she will grasp how she has been cheated out of having a loving father and exploited by a mother more interested in her own festering anger than her daughter's well-being."

In her open letter to The New York Times, Farrow made her first public comments about the 1992 incident. In a letter to op-ed columnist Nicholas Kristof, she said she was moved to speak out because of Hollywood's continued embrace of Allen.

"That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up," wrote Farrow. "I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls."

At the time, the New York Times reported that Allen declined comment. Also, representatives for Allen and for former partner Mia Farrow did not immediately return requests for comment. Allen has long maintained his innocence.

In the letter, Dylan Farrow claims that in 1992 at the family's Connecticut home, Allen led her to a "dim, closet-like attic" and "then he sexually assaulted me." Farrow didn't specify Allen's actions, but described other abusive behavior.

Farrow said Allen would have her get in bed with him, and at other times "place his head in my naked lap and breathe in and breathe out."

"For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn't like," said Farrow. "These things happened so often, so routinely, so skillfully hidden from a mother that would have protected me had she known, that I thought it was normal."

Allen was investigated on child molestation claims for the alleged 1992 incident in Connecticut, but prosecutors elected not to charge him.