The Jewish duo that brought department stores to Germany
A photo exhibit in Jerusalem pays tribute to Erich Mendelsohn, the architect who built Germany's first department stores in the 1920s.
The building which housed the Schocken department store in Nuremberg was built in 1926, bringing with it a wave of modernism to the city. Mayor Hermann Luppe was concerned that the new building with its naked walls and square windows would not be well received. However, he hoped that it would reflect the revitalized spirit of Germany. His concerns were valid.