The backbone of the newly established Israeli foreign ministry in 1948 was a cadre of Jewish immigrants from Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia. Most of them belonged to families that had the prescience, the resources and in some cases the right connections to escape Nazi Germany in the 1930s. They were part of the 50,000-strong Central European contingent of the Fifth Aliyah, the so-called “yekkes”...