Israeli politicians speaking at the funeral – first and foremost the PM – failed to mention Palestinian President Abbas, who showed courage by attending. Author Amos Oz was the only one to bring up Oslo, cutting the schmaltz.
- U.S. defense chief says Hitler comments by Philippines president 'deeply troubling' (Reuters)
- Matthew strengthens to Category 4 storm headed for Jamaica, Cuba (Reuters)
- Five soldiers killed in attack on Mexican army convoy (AP)
- Report: Attempted stabbing attack at Qalandiyah outpost (Haaretz)
- Monitor: Russian airstrikes killed over 9,000 in first year, including 900 children (AP)
- Bulgaria bans full-face veils in public places (Reuters)
- Palestinians report seven wounded in clashes with Israeli troops on Gaza border (Haaretz)
- Philippines' Duterte likens himself to Hitler, wants to kill millions of drug users (Reuters)
- Russia reinforces Syria air base (Reuters)
- Jerusalem roads open to traffic as usual (Haaretz)
- Former President Shimon Peres buried at Mount Herzl in Jerusalem (Haaretz)
- Obama: I couldn't be more honored to be in Jerusalem to say farewell to my friend Peres (Haaretz)
- Amoz Oz at Peres funeral: Peace is a must – we have nowhere else to go (Haaretz)
- Netanyahu: High leader turnout for Peres burial 'a testament to his quest for peace' (Haaretz)
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu eulogizes former President Shimon Peres at funeral (Haaretz)
There is certainly a lot wrong with Israel, but the country is more democratic and pluralist than it was in the good old days, and Peres deserves a good deal of the credit.
We cannot accept, this election, with Trump’s candidacy, the usual calls for bipartisanship and political neutrality from our Jewish community institutions.
The 28-year-old Palestinian attacker was shot and killed by security staff.
Somehow Stalin gave Ruth Gruber access to gulags and the U.S. sent her to survey Alaska, and she sailed on the Exodus, too.
One year after airstrikes began, they show no signs of abating as fighting continues with dozens more killed in Aleppo.
The film deservedly won the best film award at this year’s Israeli Oscars.
Obama on Peres -- "I could see myself in his story" | Peres to Putin: "You behave like a tsar" | Bibi goes incognito at 'Sleep No More"