The Syrian army is rapidly closing in on the rebels who are in control of the city, leaving a narrow corridor through which civilians are escaping on foot; Russian and Iranian support are tipping the balance in Assad's favor.
- 34 militant groups now allied to ISIS, UN chief says (AP)
- Al-Qaida group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso (Reuters)
- 2 planes crash in mid-air above Los Angeles, plunge into ocean (AP)
- Taiwan quake fells 17-story building, 123 rescued so far (Reuters)
- Bahrain says ready to commit ground forces to Syria (Reuters)
- Magnitude 6.7 earthquake hits southern Taiwan (Reuters)
- CDC: Men who were in Zika areas should use condoms (AP)
- U.S. doctors upgrade Zika precautions; virus found in saliva, urine (Reuters)
- White House welcomes Saudi announcement on fighting ISIS (Reuters)
- Erdogan says Russia, together with Assad regime, responsible for death of 400k in Syria (Reuters)
- Hotel fire in Iraqi Kurdistan kills 17, governor tells local TV (Reuters)
- Turkish PM says 15,000 fleeing Syria's Aleppo arrive at Turkish border (Reuters)
- One reportedly killed after massive crane collapse in lower Manhattan (Reuters)
- Palestinian reportedly killed by Israeli forces in clashes near Hebron (Haaretz)
- Iranian Revolutionary Guards general reportedly killed in Syria fighting (Reuters)
Staying stuck in the old leftist rhetoric will advance neither the solution of the conflict nor the chance of replacing the current government.
Ahmed's family believes he was trying to sneak into Israel in a desperate attempt to find work. Israeli forces say he sought to stab soldiers. With no witnesses, more questions arise than answers.
Through the lens of Haaretz photographers.
On a new biography of Israel Zarchi, a writer who lived a short, sad life and whose short stories, novels and other works were lost in the archives of Hebrew literature.
Turkish president accuses Russia of invading Syria to set up a 'boutique state' for longtime ally Bashar Assad.
PART 3: How are we to regard the protester at the LGBTQ conference who opposed letting pro-Israel voices be heard?