Shimon Peres, who died on Wednesday morning aged 93, may not have wanted to become a leader, but his political path and vision turned him into a key figure in the Israeli leadership for more than 50 years.
- U.S. strike on ISIS in Afghanistan kills 21, possibly including civilians (Reuters)
- Five suspected members of ISIS cell arrested in Spain, Belgium, Germany (AP)
- Obama on Peres' death: Light has gone out, but hope he gave us will burn forever (Haaretz)
- U.S. President Barack Obama to attend Shimon Peres' funeral (Haaretz)
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau to attend Shimon Peres' funeral on Friday (Haaretz)
- Funeral for former Israeli president Shimon Peres expected to take place on Friday (Haaretz)
- Peres' family addresses press outside hospital: "We bid farewell to our beloved father" (Haaretz)
- Shimon Peres, Israel's elder statesman and Nobel Peace laureate, dies at 93 (Haaretz)
- Trump-Clinton showdown breaks TV debate ratings record as 84 million watch (Reuters)
- U.S. to deploy anti-missile system in South Korea 'as soon as possible' (Reuters)
- President Obama appoints first ambassador to Cuba in 55 years (Reuters)
- UN report says Sudan violates Darfur sanctions (AP)
- Donald Trump says on Twitter he raised $13 million in 24 hours in online donations (Reuters)
- FBI believes foreign hackers targeted cellphones of some Democratic Party figures (Reuters)
- U.S. announces $400 million more in humanitarian aid for Syrians caught in civil war (Reuters)
Shimon Peres was an optimist not blinded by messianism, who responded with dignity, calm, and compelling logic to his persistent critics in Israel and on the American Jewish right.
With his Yiddish accent, jacket and tie, he wasn’t seen as a real Israeli. In a state that invented the new Jew – sabra, tanned, a soldier, a daring adventurer – he was the old Jew, the exilic Jew.
'Shimon Peres was the last remaining Israeli official who founded the occupation,' militant group ruling Gaza says following his death.
Baby Israel had no airline, but to fly the new president home, the first Israeli passenger plane was created by converting an air force propeller plane.
U.S. says attack proves that Assad and Russian, regional allies abandoned an international peace process to pursue victory on the battlefield.
Mor Shani and the Inbal dancers have created a melting pot of folk dances through the ages. While some elements of ‘Simple Dance’ fall short, overall it’s a refreshing piece, complete with violent moves bordering on the erotic.
After putting Donald Trump on the defensive by accusing him of racism and sexism, Hillary Clinton blasts him again, saying he made 'charges and claims that were demonstrably untrue.'