The late president never knew the joy of a clean, complete political victory that would allow him to actualize his vision; as long as he lived and breathed politics, he was rejected by the Israeli public. In his passing, Peres has finally been granted the esteem and gratitude he always craved.
- Matthew strengthens into Category 5 hurricane in Caribbean (AP)
- U.S. defense chief says Hitler comments by Philippines president 'deeply troubling' (Reuters)
- Matthew strengthens to Category 4 storm headed for Jamaica, Cuba (Reuters)
- Five soldiers killed in attack on Mexican army convoy (AP)
- Report: Attempted stabbing attack at Qalandiyah outpost (Haaretz)
- Monitor: Russian airstrikes killed over 9,000 in first year, including 900 children (AP)
- Bulgaria bans full-face veils in public places (Reuters)
- Palestinians report seven wounded in clashes with Israeli troops on Gaza border (Haaretz)
- Philippines' Duterte likens himself to Hitler, wants to kill millions of drug users (Reuters)
- Russia reinforces Syria air base (Reuters)
- Jerusalem roads open to traffic as usual (Haaretz)
- Former President Shimon Peres buried at Mount Herzl in Jerusalem (Haaretz)
- Obama: I couldn't be more honored to be in Jerusalem to say farewell to my friend Peres (Haaretz)
- Amoz Oz at Peres funeral: Peace is a must – we have nowhere else to go (Haaretz)
- Netanyahu: High leader turnout for Peres burial 'a testament to his quest for peace' (Haaretz)
There is certainly a lot wrong with Israel, but the country is more democratic and pluralist than it was in the good old days, and Peres deserves a good deal of the credit.
We cannot accept, this election, with Trump’s candidacy, the usual calls for bipartisanship and political neutrality from our Jewish community institutions.
Presidents and kings, prime ministers and dukes converged on Mount Herzl, Jerusalem of Friday to pay their respect.
Jackie Walker also questioned the need for security at Jewish institutions, during a workshop on how to confront anti-Semitism and engage Jewish voters.
A group of Su-24 and Su-34 frontline bombers have arrived at the Hmeymim base, Izvestia reports.
The film deservedly won the best film award at this year’s Israeli Oscars.
Obama on Peres -- "I could see myself in his story" | Peres to Putin: "You behave like a tsar" | Bibi goes incognito at 'Sleep No More"